Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Book #1 Progress

My first book, the book that inspired this block, is nearing completion. It is about the science behind the techniques taught by activities associated with preparing a person to survive a violent encounter and the teaching thereof.

1. I need a 'snappy title' to process ':The science behind the techniques taught by activities associated with preparing a person to survive a violent encounter and the teaching thereof.

2. I need to shorten the explanation after ':'.

3. I need a phrase that includes martial arts, self-defence, combat sports, law enforcement methods, and military close combat. I initially was using 'Survival Activities', however, the primary teachings of those activities is sometimes not survival.

Would appreciate your help on these matters.

I have a professional photographer on board, complete with lights, cameras, consent forms, and copyright issues.

I have two 'models' complete with contrasting gi.

I have a dedicated location.

Within the body of the book, there is only one small part missing. An anatomical description of wrist twists and wrist locks. I have, for the first time in this literature, an anatomical description of all shoulder locks, elbow locks, forearm locks, and side wrist locks.

As I explain in the book, the medical literature is of no assistance as >85% of all injuries to the upper limb occur as a result of a fall on an outstretched hand (FOOSH injuries) and the forces experienced then are very different to those experienced when a joint-lock (kansetsu waza) is applied.

The Australian Institute of Sport has a Combat Centre that focuses on combat sports. I am trying to get in contact with anyone associated with the AIS CC to discuss this matter. If anyone can help, most appreciated.

3 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. That's not bad. ... I gotta think about it. ... however, on the face of it I think it might suffer the same limitation as 'Survival Activities' in that the primary concern of many such activities is fight rather than protection or survival. Slight, but important distinction, for someone as precise (aka anally retentive) as me. But thanks for throwing that into the mix.

      Delete
  2. If you'd care to revive an old-school term, "antagonistics" was used around 1900 to describe all forms of self defence, combat sports, martial arts etc.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make my work all the more relevant as I use them to direct my research and theorising. Thank you.